Famous Last Words: Surviving the COVID19 Vaccine


I received my first Pfizer COVID19 vaccine just a few days after Christmas. I was excited, terrified, and nervous. I read the studies, did my own research, and determined that the vaccine is what I wanted. As someone working in the emergency room with constant COVID19 contact, I cannot emphasize how many times I have been stressed and anxious whenever I felt just a little bit under the weather. "Is it COVID19 or a typical cold?" "Should I get tested again for the 10000th time?" It was mentally and physically draining for my body. And yes, the vaccine does have its own risks and side effects. It isn't perfect but when I calculate the pros and cons for myself, the benefit completely outweighs the risks. 

A lot of people asked me if I have gotten any side effects. After taking my second dose two weeks ago, I can now give you a complete answer. The first dose gave me the most annoying achy pain to the injection site. It was sensitive to every little touch and really bothered me throughout the day. This lasted only for a day after I received the first shot. The second one made me very sick. This was not surprising as it was literally working on my immune system. It's doing what it's supposed to do. I had a fever, the worst body aches, chest pain, and worst of all, I had difficulty breathing. It felt like I had the actual virus. This lasted for two days and I felt completely better afterward. Now it is important to say that this is my personal experience and a lot of people I know actually didn't have any side effects. Personally, I have a really weak immune system so I was not too surprised. 

I really do believe that the vaccine is the solution to this pandemic. It is the only way we would be able to reach herd immunity. Just days after the US started administering the vaccines, news of a new COVID19 variant came out that was reported to be more contagious. Well great. Just well things are looking better, mother nature screams at us "PSYCH." 

SARS-CoV-2 (This illustration was created at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Source: Wikimedia)

Here is some more information about how Oklahoma is distributing the vaccine: https://oklahoma.gov/covid19/vaccine-information.html

Comments

  1. Hey Amy! Thanks for sharing your experience with getting the vaccine! I think the more people who are honest and open up dialogue about their experiences, the more comfortable people will feel getting it. I’m personally super excited to get mine. In a really twisted way, I’m excited to see how sick I feel after the second dose. It will definitely give me peace of mind because I’ll know my body is working to learn to combat the virus. It’s still not my turn yet, and it’s really hard to wait, but I know the day will come! I hope you’re remaining healthy, and thank you for being part of the solution!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to Amy, a girl who despises the question "Where are you from?"

Nina and her Terrible Boyfriend: Week 5 Story