Reading Notes: Mahabharata, Part D

Focus Story: Drona's Death

The one-story I read in the Mahabharata that stands out and I can never forget is Drona's death. It was such a tragedy that he died thinking that his son was dead. When in reality, it's all a gambit to trick him.

Bhima killed the Elephant (Source: Wikimedia)

Notes from Part D:

  • As Drona is still undefeated, Bhima devised a plan to trick him. Drona's one weakness is his love for his son. So, Bhima used this in his plan.
  • What is sad is that Bhima used to be one of Drona's pupils. Drona trained Bhima into the great warrior he had become.
  • Bhima killed an elephant with the same name as Drona's son (Ashwatthaman). Then, he screamed saying "Ashwatthaman is dead" over and over again so that Drona would hear it
  • Drona did not believe Bhima so he asked Bhima's brother Yudhishthira who is incapable of lying. 
  • Cleverly, Yudhishthira was able to state "Ashwatthaman is dead" while whispering "the elephant" under his breath.
  • Drona completely fell apart in despair. At this moment, Drupuda's son Dhrishtadyumna attacked Drona. The fight ended with Drona's head falling to the ground.
Thoughts and Ideas: 
Wow. The death of Drona is both brutal and clever of the Pandavas. The story is so brilliant on its own that I do not really want to change a thing. The whole plot of having his own pupils causing his death. I am not surprised Ashwatthaman became filled with rage. Even I am filled with rage reading this! The only thing I can think of for the storytelling is to have Ashwatthaman kill the whole clan right after this moment. I am definitely using this for my storybook project!

Bibliography: "Mahabharata Online: Public Domain Edition" Part D by Laura Gibbs. Web source.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Amy, a girl who despises the question "Where are you from?"

Comment Wall

Nina and her Terrible Boyfriend: Week 5 Story