Wikipedia Trail: Garuda to Majapahit

Dr. Gibbs (Laura) mentioned Garuda in one of my comments and that made me curious about it. I started with Garuda which is a legendary bird that is Indonesia's national emblem. Garuda is actually an important creature in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. I grew up with the Garuda logo and actually live on Garuda street as a child. Garuda led me to the Garuda Wisnu Kencana Cultural Park which is a beautiful attraction in Bali, Indonesia. The attraction is devoted to Vishu and his companion, Garuda. This really stood out to me because as someone who's been to Bali, I am disappointed that I didn't know about this place when I was there. The Garuda Wisnu Kencana Cultural Park led me to the Garuda Wisnu Kencana statue. It is a large statue that situates in the park designed as Vishu riding Garuda. The crown Vishu is wearing is actually covered in gold mosaic. According to the page, the statue is the tallest Hindu deity and the tallest statue in Indonesia. It took a whole 28 years for the statue to be completed. This page led me to the Statue of Liberty as the Garuda Wisnu Kencana statue is 30m higher than the Statue of Liberty. The Statue of Liberty is a figure of Libertas, a liberty goddess. One fun fact that I learned was that the metal framework for the Statue of Liberty was built by Gustave Eiffel, the same engineer who built the Eiffel Tower.

Garuda Wisnu Kencana Statue (Source: Wikimedia)

Garuda Wisnu Kencana Statue (Source: Wikimedia)

Close up of the Statue (Source: Wikimedia)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to Amy, a girl who despises the question "Where are you from?"

Nina and her Terrible Boyfriend: Week 5 Story